Thursday, January 10, 2019

Ten Years

TEN YEARS AGO:



I was a new mom, the second time around.

I was 27.

I had naturally curly, brown hair.

I had a mom bod, fresh from a c-section.

Bryce & I had almost been married 5 years.

I was unsure of myself, didn't like my body and my life revolved around my daughters.

I had just joined the worship team at church.

I had almost lived in Utah for 1 year.

I had a couple of friends.

Bryce worked from home and it was super helpful with the babies.

I was insecure, but I didn't really care what others thought about me.

I only cared what Bryce thought about me.

Marriage seemed pretty easy.

I was still pretty naive.


TODAY:



It's been 8 years since I have had a baby.

I am 37.

I have brown & blue hair.

I have learned that exercise, eating well and intermittent fasting does a body good.

Bryce & I have been married 15 years.

I know who I am, love my body and have finally figured out what is important in life.

I am now an artist by trade, musician at heart and love all of it.

I have lived in Utah for almost 11 years.

I have really, really good friends.

Bryce works from home and we love having him here.

I care about what others think, but not so much about me anymore.

I care what Bryce thinks about me.

I have worked hard to restore my marriage.

I feel much wiser and can actually give good advice now.


Ten years is such a long time. A lot can change in ten years. I see a wiser me, one who has been around the block, who has lines by her eyes and gray in her hair. I have a c-section scar times three and a new outlook on what makes me happy. I have a deeper relationship with Christ and a newfound respect for marriage.

No one tells you how much work actually goes into a marriage. No one tells you that you and your husband will evolve into different people and that your marriage will evolve too. No one tells you how hard you have to fight for your marriage. They tell you it's hard work, but it's worth it. How hard? How much work? When? When do you know that it is going to get hard?

And parenting? Homeschooling? Friendship? Work? You don't know what you've got until it's gone unless you happen to be that person that knows how to be grateful right then and there. Sometimes when I'm praying, I thank God for real, for a roof over my head, a comfortable life because there really are people out there who don't have those things. You forget how happy you actually can be.

Life throws curve balls. God is in control. Just be happy and be grateful for what you have every single day. That's hard work too, but no one ever said that living is easy.

No comments: