Tuesday, October 09, 2018

Trying To Learn: Closed Doors Can Be A Good Thing


I once was someone who was known.

I had status. I felt loved. I felt like I belonged. I had so many friends.

Sound familiar? Maybe you're in that past tense spot right now. Something happened and life changed. Maybe it only changed a little bit. Maybe it changed A LOT.

If you've been following my blog, you know about my life changes. If not, you've got some reading to catch up on.

I follow TobyMac on FB because I love his #speaklife images. Some days, it's a pick me up. Some days, it's a conviction. Some days, it's just something for me to nod my head at.

I want to share some of the more prolific ones and why they spoke to me. See, because I'm trying to learn how to be normal. I went from a fast-paced life to a snail's crawl and that is a hard thing to adjust to.

I once was someone who was known. I mean, I'm STILL known. But I'm not KNOWN. Does that make sense?

Returning to that status was my goal. I wanted my marriage to work out, but I wanted my status back. I wanted my joy back. I wanted my old life back.

Oh, I tried! I tried and I tried and I tried. I'm sure both my husband and some of my friends grew very weary of me trying. I hoped and I schemed and I prayed and I cried and I became delirious with the desire to be known again.

Ah....the good old "When one door closes" epitaph. No one likes to hear it. Seriously, so stop saying it.

But....sometimes God closes doors because it's time to move forward. He knows you won't move unless circumstances force you.

God closed my door on returning to the worship team at my church. It took me A YEAR to figure that out, but I figured it out. At first, I refused to believe it. Then, I tried to believe it. Finally, after I was hit on the head a thousand times, I found peace with it.

He's not closing that door to music, at least, I don't think so. But that particular facet of music, yes. I believe that God knew I wouldn't move unless I was forced to. Now, I'm not saying SOMEONE forced me. I'm saying that there have been circumstances over the last year, both of my own making and not, that have communicated this closed door to me.

And I have found peace. I know that moving forward in a different direction is okay. It's scary, but it's okay. AND....I may not be known the way that I wanted to be, but I am known by one who loves me so much. I am known to God. He knows me. He knows my heart's desires. He knows my troubles. He knows.

I can look back at that closed door and I can remember all of the good times, the bad times and even the ugly times with fondness. Those 8 years on stage at our church made me the musician that I am today, made me the leader that I hoped to be and made me learn to rely on Christ in a whole different way.

I can move forward now and look to the future that God has for me. Maybe music is involved in it, maybe it isn't. Maybe it's at this church and maybe it is somewhere else. Maybe it is in this town and maybe it's not. I don't know and while I'm nervous, I'm kind of excited.

Maybe God has closed a door in your life and it doesn't feel good. But it's time! It's time to move forward, baby step by baby step. Believe me....I'm right there with you. Life might suck for a little bit, but these are the moments that define us. You are still loved, you are still known, YOU BELONG.

I once was someone who was known.

I AM KNOWN.

No comments: