Sunday, January 28, 2018

#10: Adding To The Noise

Busy, busy, busy...give me some breathing room...right?

I used to be busy all the time. Mondays tumbling/ballet and small group. Tuesdays ballet. Wednesday MOPs & Kid's Night. Thursday worship practice. Throw in the random Friday event (hanging out with friends/women's event, etc). Saturdays were hit or miss. Sunday was the work day, take a nap, maybe a meeting or a Meet the Pastor. Reset. And start all over.

Oh, not to mention homeschooling three girls, mentoring team members/friends, coffee dates, housework, mework.

Missing something? Date night. Alone time with the hubs. Alone time with God. Good conversation. Exercise. It was all missing and I didn't even notice it. I was too busy and when I had time, it was all about me. I was spinning at the speed of sound, unbalanced like an overloaded washer.

Don't get me wrong. I like being busy, but when you start missing out on what's important, it all becomes meaningless.

And this world tells us it's okay. Spend more than you earn. You'll catch up. Do what makes you feel good. You matter. Modern humanity is losing what is most precious and that is life. We waste our life in front of our phone, the tv, the noise of the week. I'm guilty of it. You're guilty of it. Everyone is guilty of it.



"If we're adding to the noise, turn off this song."

If you don't like what you hear or the way you feel, you usually declutter whatever it is that's bothering you. "I stopped serving at church because I needed to focus on myself." "Don't tell me to spend more time with my kids. I'm with them all day long. I need alone time." "I date my husband, but I need girls night more so I can vent."

These things are relevant. I get you. I understand. I've been there too and because I am human, I'll be there again too.

But this is the WORLD telling you what you want to hear. The Bible, God, your church, your pastor...they just add to the noise, so you turn them off. I don't want to be convicted. I don't want to feel like I did something wrong. I'm happy the way I am. I DON'T NEED TO CHANGE.

GUYS. Go back and reread the last 9 posts and see what it looks like when you are happy with the way you are and don't need to change. It doesn't work. It catches up with you. It is a dangerous way to think. It is a dangerous cycle to get caught up in.

Do you think I wanted to be in this storm? That I wanted change so I threw myself into the fire? Heck no. No one wants to hurt, feel guilty, hurt others. No one wants to lose their life and the things they enjoy. I did not purposefully put myself into the position I was in so that I could fail. That's not the point of Christ. He doesn't want us to fail. But when we do, He walks with us, lifts us up and TEACHES US.

So...you think, whatever, Cassandra. That's your life, not mine. Hey...if I'm adding to the noise, just keep scrolling.


One two

What's it gonna take to slow us down to let the silence spin us around?
What's it gonna take to drop this town?
We've been spinning at the speed of sound

Stepping out of those convenience stores
What could we we want but more more more?
Form the third world to the corporate core we are the symphony of modern humanity
Yeah

If we're adding to the noise turn off this song
If we're adding to the noise turn off your stereo, radio, video...

I don't know what they're gonna think of next genetic engineers of the most high tech
A couple new ways to fall into debt
I'm a nervous wreck but I'll bet that that T.V. set tells us what we've wanted to hear
But none of these sound bites are coming in clear:
From the third world to the corporate ear we are the symphony of modern humanity
Yeah

If we're adding to the noise
Turn off this song
If we're adding to the noise
Turn off your stereo, radio,...

If we're adding to the noise
Turn off this song
If we're adding to the noise
Turn off your stereo, radio...
Stereo, radio…
Stereo, radio…
Stereo, radio…

If we're adding to the noise
Turn off this song
If we're adding to the noise
Turn off your stereo, radio...

If we're adding to the noise
If we're adding to the noise
If we're adding to the noise
Turn off this song

No comments: