Monday, August 03, 2015

Day Three- The Afternoon Coffee Couldn't Save


Usually, coffee is my superhero, but there are even days that coffee can't save. Today, I had that afternoon that no cup of coffee was going to make better.

What happened? Nothing.

My emotions were in overdrive today. And even though nothing actually happened, my afternoon crashed & burned. I was overemotional and it ruined my day. Even coffee didn't make me feel better.

I was feeling frustrated, hurt and disappointed. That combination hung on like a fish hook. I couldn't shake it. Why? Why couldn't I shake it? I certainly wasn't doing myself any favors.

So anyways, what was going on in my head...not that important. But it got me thinking about this:

Sometimes we let ourselves get disappointed. We have expectations or make assumptions. When those fall through, we feel let down. We can feel hurt. We can feel angry, maybe even angry at a person. We let those feelings take over and eat up that amount of time we spend thinking and dwelling on it.

But it's not that person's fault! We can't hold expectations or assumptions over their head simply because we think they should do things or think the way that we think they should or the way that we do.

I let myself fall into that trap today and I didn't like myself one bit. I felt ugly and I felt stupid. Once I realized where I was leading myself, I got out of my chair, turned on the radio and started cleaning toilets.

A just punishment?
Maybe. But I definitely felt better.

No comments: