Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Let's Talk About Simplicity

I hate to break it to you, but life...man, it isn't simple. It is one crazy, complex, convoluted thing that remains consistently inconsistent.

MY LIFE:
Check this out: it's like women.

Okay. Strike that. Let's just use myself as an example because, let's be honest, it's how I feel right now. I'm a hormonal mind-switcher, who wears leggins allthetime, a man-bun and has a giant zit growing near her mouth (cue the grossness). I expect people to read my mind, think I'm being kind, but really I'm not. I'm judgmental and hypocritical. One day, I'm great; the next day I'm not. I dye my hair purple and swear it's not a mid-life crisis. Etc. Etc. Frickin' etc.

So, maybe some of you are nodding your head in agreement that, yes, yes I am crazy. And maybe some of you are nodding because, hey, you feel the same way. Maybe you understand and maybe you don't. Maybe you have your own example.

MY HOUSE:
I think about my house. I am decent at decorating; it doesn't look like a magazine, but I can be proud of the work I've done (and that B has helped me with...don't forget that). But I have a lot of STUFF. There's junk drawers. Four of them. A storage room that you have to step around & veer your neck to see where something might be. A guest room full of furniture (well, technically that's going in our new church building, so it won't be there for TOO much longer). A craft closet that you can't even walk in. A "yard sale" closet that looks like Piper's room. An attic that has toys everywhere. Let's not forget my over 800 books, the girls' rooms, our offices. I can go on and on.

MY FRIENDS:
I am following a blog that my friends started as they journeyed to Hawaii to work on a fruit farm for a few months. She mentioned that she has _ shirts, _ pants and how she never thought she could live that simply.

All I could think about is, "I have a ton of stuff. It would take forever to simplify and do I even want to do that?"

"Am I a hoarder?"

"But I might fit into that top again by summer..."

"Could I really do something like that?"

But now, I think, "My life needs to be simplified." That feels so much harder than cleaning out a closet. What do I need to clean out? Replace what is broken? Start quitting?

No.
Start living.

THE TRUTH:
I'm a sinner. THAT'S as simple as it gets.
And the best part is that Jesus already did the hardest part for me. He died on the cross for me, the death I should have died.

This crazy, complex and convoluted life will still feel just like it does now. But I can rest in the knowledge that He is right there with me; He has gone before me and will never leave me. He loves me with my zit, my hypocrisy, my four junk drawers and my complex personality, aka being a woman.

Simply put.

As for simplifying my crap and not feeling hormonal? Well....I am my mother's daughter and will probably never get rid of anything and as for feeling hormonal, give me a few days and it'll round itself out.

I can deal with that.

No comments: