Monday, January 22, 2018

#4: Ammunition


Ah, this was about the age I came to have a relationship with Christ and I have learned a MILLION things since then. (And yes, this is a real selfie before they became selfies and it was taken with a real camera too.) Because Jon Foreman has an interesting tone...I actually have to look up the lyrics sometimes to see if I'm hearing him right.

"We are the fuse and the ammunition." Yep. That's right. So here we go:

I'm guilty of this, so I know others are too: we blame others for our circumstances.

"It's your fault I'm in this mess."

Look, sometimes that's the truth of the matter...but sometimes we let ourselves get put into that position. We fall for it, hook, line and sinker. We get played. The honey that was dripped into our mouth was laced with poison.

I'm not talking about the innocents. I'm talking about the "I should have known better" specifically.

"We are the fuse and the ammunition."

We know the difference between right and wrong. We are taught that from the beginning. We come into the age of reasoning and are held accountable. As a Christ follower, the Bible is right there to help you if you really don't know what to do.

But, oh, so often we are tempted with something. We know it is wrong. We wonder if maybe just one step over the line will be enough to satisfy.

Inside, we're saying, no.....but temptation is tempting. The line becomes blurred as we cross it again and again and again. Now, our conscience is screaming at us to stop. And we do....when it has become too late.

"It was your fault. You made me do it."
No. You knew better. They are not the issue. We are the issue.
We put the bullets into the gun and shot the target. We were the finger that pulled the trigger. We were the bullets. We were the ones that blew up.

It's hard to own up to our mistakes. Shoot....I HATE saying I'm wrong. It's embarrassing. It's humiliating. It's devastating. But there is healing in the truth. There is healing in the admission. And there is restoration in cleaning the mess that we have made.

I am not without fault. I have made small mistakes and big mistakes. Poor choices and bad choices. There are consequences that still ring true. I am human. I am a sinner. I will always be this way.

It is my choice to try each day to be better; don't fall for temptation, no matter how little it may seem; don't blame others for the choices I have made, even if the consequences suck; choose joy, not despair; love others when I don't feel like it.

While this song might not be one of my favorites off of this album, it has quite a lot of meaning with day to day choices, life changes, etc, etc. Plus, it's fun to turn up loud and dance to.


Blame it on what you've been through
Blame it on what you're into
Blame it on your religions
Blame it on politicians

We've been blowing up
We're the issue
It's our condition
We've been blowing up
We're the issue
Our detonation
We've been blowing up
We're the issue
We're ammunition
We're ammunition
We're ammunition
We are the fuse and the ammunition

I have no generation
Show me my motivation
One world one desperation
One hope and one salvation

We've been blowing up
We're the issue
It's our condition
We've been blowing up
We're the issue
Our detonation
We've been blowing up
We're the issue
We're ammunition
We're ammunition
We're ammunition
We are the fuse and the ammunition

Look what a mess we've made of love
Look what a mess we've made of love
Look what a mess we've made
We've got ourselves to blame
Look what a bomb we've made of love

We've been blowing up
We're the issue
It's our condition
We've been blowing up
We're the issue
Our detonation
We've been blowing up
We're the issue
We're ammunition
We're ammunition
We're ammunition
We are the fuse and the ammunition
We're ammunition
We're ammunition
We are the fuse and ammunition
Ammunition

No comments: